Friday, October 9, 2009

Hay-Maze-ing

Last year I discovered that Engh Gardens on 7th East in Sandy has an amazing setup for kids in October. They have a hay maze, a pirate ship, all sorts of put-your-face-in cutouts, and it's all for free. FREE! My kind of place. If you live in the Salt Lake area and have kids, you absolutely should go. We spent the afternoon there with our whole family, plus Shauna and Charlee, and had a great time. Charlee loved the pirate ship, but my kids were all about the maze. I have had my share of corn mazes, and they're one thing that I can honestly say I don't like and I don't want to like them. But hay mazes are definately the way to go. We went through this one a lot. And I never once felt trapped, exasperated, anxious, bored, or even mildly irritated!









Elijah is becoming quite the walker. After being carried and flown through many times, he fought and struggled to get on the ground and in charge of himself. He is a very determined little boy in many many ways. Brent held his fingers through the first half and I tagged teamed to save Brent's aching back and held him up through the second. I can attest that he chose where and when to turn. If I tried to make him go down an aisle he didn't want to, he dug in deep with his heels and gritted his gums together. He only made one wrong turn and that was when he followed Miriam (who had lapped us) go down a dead end. I'm fairly certain he did just for fun and completely on purpose. When they got to the end, Miriam put her hands on her cheeks and said "OH NO!" Elijah laughed, turned, and headed straight out the end. What a boy! And just to glimpse the joy of the hay maze journey for him...
And one more thing... what happened to my cute little baby? This kid is practically a toddler-adolescent-adult!!

No comments: