Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is GENII the plural of genius?

Cause I've got two of them on my hands! (And perhaps I can add myself, too! It only took me two days to get the video clip saved to my computer and uploaded to blogspot! WOW!)

ELIJAH: He mastered crawling, walking, running, running in circles, and walking backwards. But those darn stairs were giving him fits. We worked and worked and worked on the feet-first-belly-down skooching method. He could cruise right down if I put him on the stairs in the correct position, but he had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. One day he actually fell from top to bottom (thank heavens they're carpeted!). Funniest part of it was that he was wearing a bumble bee costume (Miriam was in a carebear costume and had chosen Eli's outfit). Flight of the Bumblebee if I've ever seen it. He was awfully wary of stairs for quite a while after that. Definately safe. Anyway, he finally got it! He lays down on his belly and then pushes himself backwards until he gets to the stairs. If he hits the wall then he just tries again. Then he just skooches on down and he's in business. He has transferred it to other getting-downs, too. He's aok with beds, tables, and has even tried the trampoline. I helped him on that one. Take a gander at his early technique. Sometimes he would get on his belly and slide for a long time before he hit the stairs, if he ever got there. He's a pro now and can get from standing to the bottom of the stairs in the time it takes him to get in position now, but it still is cute to see!

MIRIAM: After she could identify by sight all capital and lowercase letters, I started on writing. She wasn't ready, though. She just couldn't get the concept. So I dropped it. Then one day at library class, she said she wanted to write her name on the back of her bird craft. She picked up a marker and wrote MiM. I was amazed. I call her Mim all the time, but didn't realize that she knew how to spell it and how to write it. The next day, she asked to write her name. I wrote it out and she copied it directly underneath. She's sporting her dorky smile, but the name is pretty impressive, to her Mama at least. I was amazed. What a girl!

No comments: