Friday, September 19, 2008

Feliz Diesiocho!


September 18th, or el Diesiocho de Septiembre, is Chilean Independence Day. In my experience, it is one of the holidays more celebrated than others by the Chilean people. I entered the MTC on September 17th, and so have two days back to back where I find my thoughts meandering to Chile and my experiences as a missionary. Usually I make completos for dinner on el diesiocho, but I didn't get to it yesterday. It was a busy day and I kind of felt a little sad for not doing something Chilean to honor the day. Still, I must have thought about Chile more than I thought I did because I dreamt last night that on one of my yw activities (I'm in charge of the Beehives, the 12-13 year old girls), we somehow ended up in Chile. It was an accident but I took the girls around showing them places I had been and telling them about my companions, my Chilean friends, and the food and candy that I liked. The other leaders were kind of freaked out, as well they should have been, but I just mingled and chatted and felt right at home. Because I felt so recently Chilean when I woke up, I have had a lot of mission thoughts today. The most important one, though, is who I have become because of that experience, the sure knowledge I have that my Savior will help me through the things that I just plain can't do. That is the part of the atonement (just to show how dang Chilean I'm thinking now, I had to pause before I wrote 'the atonement' because the only word that came to mind was the Spanish 'la expiacion') that I feel the closest too. There are things that are so important to me that I want to do right. But this life is way too hard to do everything right. But I can turn my life over to Christ and when I get to the end of what I can do, he will guide my steps. And this I know. HAPPY DIESIOCHO DE SEPTIEMBRE!

1 comment:

Tyna Merrill said...

I am so grateful for the expiation(I think that is used in Jesus the Christ) and being able to learn through missionary service. I feel bad even calling it service because it was such a tremendous gift to me and that I got so much from my experiences there. Thanks for being so awesome and being such a great companion in Chile and for bringing to mind again the best gift from the mission...the expiation.