Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our Ikea makeover

I am sometimes terribly frustrated with our bathroom situation. We have one full bath and then a tiny little powder room. And our full bath is pretty little, too. We've just always lived with it, but lately the lack of liveable space due to storage of bath toys and towels has really been bugging me, especially with the addition of a baby boy and all of his bath stuff. So a few Saturdays ago, I left Brent home with the kids and made my first excursion to Ikea. Wo. I was overwhelmed and all alone. I looked at all of the displays upstairs for like an hour before feeling like I could make a decision and even then I stared at the shelves and the hooks in the home organization area for about a half hour before putting anything in my big yellow bag. Then as I trekked towards the cash register, I doubled back about four times, changing my mind with every pass. Anyway, I finally made it to the registers and then home with a shelf and some wall hooks, feeling pretty successful. Miriam and I got the drill out one morning and put everything up. She was so proud to show Daddy the new shelf when he got home from work (I was too). And I love it! I've never liked towel racks because they're so unfunctional. But now I feel that we are making our tiny space work for us like it never has before. Plus, our door hit the towel rack and could never open all the way. I never knew it bugged me, but I cut the shelf to fit in the space and now that the door CAN open all the way, I am amazed at how much more I like the place.


Before: lots of towels shoved onto the rack, a plastic milk crate of bath toys in the corner and a door that doesn't open all the way. This picture was taken standing on the toilet, just to give an idea of how little the place is.



After: towels accessable, toys off the floor, with the door opened all the way adding mere inches to actual area but feet to perceived space. This was also taken from the toilet, hence you can see into the toy bins which you normally can't from a standing position.

I feel like it's a complete success. And although Miriam has always loved baths, she has really gotten into them lately. I like to think it's because she put up the shelf that helped the bathroom to be organized so well. Today she asked for a bath during the day, which I really like because it keeps her contained, content, and clean. All good things. She really got into it and was there for over an hour. Once when I peeked in on her she was playing waterslide. What a girl! And don't worry... the video is only 13 seconds...

5 comments:

Nat said...

I've been wanting to get hooks for our bath towels in our upstairs kids bathroom for a while now. It looks so good. I've heard people rant and rave about Ikea.

erin said...

CUTE video:) As it was only 13 seconds long, I had to watch it 4 times. Excellent job with your organizing! And good job cutting and putting up yourself!

Mom/Nana said...

Duly impressed with the carpentry skills. Wow, Paige and a drill! What a girl. The waterslide was such fulfillment to watch. What a happy little girl!

Paige Moore said...

Natalie: You will LOVE hooks for your bathroom. It's the best bathroom decision I've ever made!
Mom: It wasn't only Paige with a drill... it was Paige AND Miriam with a drill! Even MORE impressive!

Unknown said...

I get so many great organizational ideas from IKEA...love it for small spaces! :)