Monday, September 14, 2009

Definately worth trying!


In my quest to be even more thrifty and providential (as opposed to cheap) I have been frequenting websites that offer coupon-using and low-cost-living tips. UtahDealDiva.com and 5DollarDinners.com had a recipe last week that looked good enough to try and basic enough that I had everything for it. Tortilla Chip Chicken Casserole. I was amazed how tasty it was! I even looked forward to having it for lunch, which is big in my world. This is what I did...

In a 9x13 pan, layer:
1 can of diced tomatos (I used the kind with green chilis)
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
A couple of breasts of chicken boiled and shredded
1/2 a bag of stale tortilla chips (crushed)

Mix in bowl and pour on top:
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Bake at 350 for a half hour, top with cheese for the last few minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I also put green onions in cause I had some and thought later that olives would have been quite tasty. The picture is from the website (ours was devoured prior to a photo-op) and she used pinto beans and cilantro. Do what works for you, but I think you're in for a treat!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy!

Heidi said...

I might make that tonight; thanks for sharing! Hey, and give Isaac's plate back! (he bought that dish set 8 years ago and is missing two plates : )

Nat said...

Oooh, yum! I'll have to try that one! I'm always up for new, easy, cheap recipes.

Shauna said...

I also enjoyed your leftovers. I am going to have to make it for dinner!