Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Centennial


In 1907 there was a push to create an official day to honor mothers. Then in 1908 the first "Mother's Day" services that continued annually until the present day were held. It took another six years for it to be made a national holiday by Congress, but we are now enjoying the Centennial of that first Mother's Day celebration. When I was in Boise last, my sister-in-law Penny saw a tab in the paper requesting stories of "When I Knew I Had Become My Mother." She showed it to everybody, hoping somebody would bite. I did. What can I say? I'm a sucker for sentimentality, especially when it comes to professing my love for my mom in a public setting. (I trust you all know me well enough to know that that prior statement was facetious, but yet there's an insecure part of me that is going to keep this disclaimer in here.) Anyway, I sent in a little ditty about my mom and it ran in the paper this morning! Not only that, but we got a full color picture on the cover of the Life section in the Idaho Statesman. Now how is that for famous? You can read the whole article here, although the picture isn't online. Either way, here is my portion:

SPECIAL DAY
When I was little, my mother loved birthdays. She didn't throw extravagant parties, but she made sure it was always a special day for me. She always told the story of the day I was born and showered me with loving attention. I loved it but figured that it was just what mom liked to do.
It wasn't until my own daughter had a birthday that I realized the magnitude a child's birthday has. As I told my daughter the story of the day she was born, I remembered how I felt when I first held this tiny person who would change my life. As I tried to tell her of the overwhelming love I have for her, I realized that my mom had tried to tell me the same thing.
And I dearly hope that when my daughter has a daughter of her own that she will know how much I always loved her.
Paige Moore, Midvale, Utah

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

2 comments:

Erin Wright said...

Very nice use of your scrapbook page! In church, the talk on Mothers' Day included a bit of information about how after the Civil War, Julia Ward Howe (who wrote the Battle Hymn of the Republic) started "Mothers' Day for Peace" and that turned into Mothers' Day. In the Statesman next to your article online, it gives even MORE history of how it all came to pass. Nice informative blog, Paige!

Kacie said...

Your totally famous! YEA! But seriously.....a really nice thought and it is SO TRUE. I feel the exact same way but I dont think I could say it as eloquently.