Friday, October 24, 2008

We Also Sing!


Back in May, I told you about the "We Also Sing!" choir that I joyously sing with. We have been practicing hard and I am pleased to announce that our concert is coming up! And free tickets are available! And have been for a few weeks. I am cordially inviting you to attend. It will be held in the Tabernacle on Temple Square next Saturday, November 1st. There will be two concerts: one at 5:30 and one at 7:30. The actual concert is a little less than an hour and in my personal opinion should be fantastic. You can get tickets by going to the church's events website (just click here) and following the directions there. You can get them online, but the word on the street is that the online thing is malfunctioning. So it might be better to call. And so you know, each year I type up a listening guide about the songs and different thoughts and other factoids about them, complete with the lyrics. Then those who attend to see me (so far just Brent and Kelsey, bless their little hearts) have a little of my personal insight about what is going on. And really, who wouldn't want some of my personal insight? If you get tickets, let me know and I'll send you a copy of the listening guide for your own listening enjoyment. How's that for service? The picture here is the cover of this year's CD. The lady who designed it talked a little about her inspiration which I thought was kind of cool. "As for the cover, I always get inspiration from some of the music we sing. This year, I felt the front cover should have a very feminine, flowing 'pretty' look. I LOVE gardens and especially flowers: [As a missionary, several of the Nauvoo Restoration Inc. Missionaries I served with would tell me about various plants surrounding our historic sites--and my love of the earth was cultivated there.] So that was my starting point. For this CD cover, I've spent a few lunch breaks walking through and taking pictures of the flowers at Temple Square. Looking closely, I noticed that some of them stand out and are really colorful, some are delicate, some are simple, others bloom in beautiful clusters they come in all different sizes and colors and collectively they combine to create a flower bed that is eye-catching and harmonious. The background has a light pattern of flowers from an old wallpaper sample. Several words have been put on a pink panel in the lower third. Each verb is something from our music, or that has been addressed in various practices." Hope to see you there!

No comments: