Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Crafts

I don't consider myself a "crafty" person, in personality or in the enjoyment of making things. But I have added two major (to my standards at least) hand-put-together projects to my Christmas decorations this year.

The first is a vinyl saying board that I have put above the piano. It is a quote from the second verse of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," and one of my all-time favorite Christmas lines. It states "Born that man no more may die!" My favorite version of this song is done by Jewel on her Christmas album Joy (which is, by the way, one of my very favorite Christmas CDs). I feel that the line just sums up the entire reason for celebrating Christmas. For years now I have wanted to put the saying above one of my nativity scenes, and this year I did it. It is, like I said earlier, a vinyl saying on a painted board. The painting of the board was no problem, although I did wonder how to select the color of green that would match both the greenish wall and the green of the other Christmas decorations. The problem was solved when I realized I had paint left over from the greenish wall and just went with that, to heck with the other greens. Then came the application of the vinyl. I had a 9-step direction sheet on "How to Apply Vinyl" complete with a contact name and number at the bottom if I had any problems that I got from the craft store where I ordered the vinyl. I read it over about twenty times and debated taking the whole project to Boise over Thanksgiving so my sisters and sister-in-laws could help me do it right when I finally took a deep breath and just did it. And to be completely honest I think it turned out fabulous! I have it hanging over the piano over my Chilean nativity scene. I've had it hanging up for less than a week and have already had multiple comments both on the phrase and how good it looks. I absolutely love it.


The next project was a nativity scene that I found on Sugardoodle.net. I knew I would never do it alone, but quite liked it, so I invited my siblings to take part in the activity. We made sets after Thanksgiving dinner and it was quite fun. Miriam actually did most of the painting on this set, with some help from Malone. She was so energetic and focused that I don't think I could possibly have told her no. Each time she finished a piece, she turned and said, "more paint?" And she was quite sad when there were not any more, even after painting both sides of each one. When we were unpacking it and putting it out on the table, she said "Mimi paint! Malone help." Still now, she picks up a piece of it from time to time and reminisces about the time she got to paint. I kept finding them on their backs and figured it was a lot more wobbly than I thought. Then one day I realized that I had put them on the table that Zeke uses to look out the window. And the nativity scene doesn't stop him from using it. But I like the table it's on and I certainly don't want to take away a spot from Zeke because he might want to replace it with a spot that I don't like him in, so I'll just keep setting it up.


And while I'm talking about amazing homemade Christmas decorations, I just have to share when my sister Erin painted for all of us this Christmas. I have always been impressed with her talent for doing anything that she wants to, and this is just another example of why. I don't know how the project came to her, but she did an absolutely amazing job. If you can't tell, it's the wise men traversing across the desert. One is pointing the way, one is leading the camel, and one has his hand on the camel's side. There are stars stamped in the sky and letters stamped onto it saying "Hallelujah, glory to the Babe who will save us all." Because this is my blog, I will take credit for the saying. It is from an extra verse that I wrote to "We Three Kings" in an arrangement that will someday be described in an entire seperate blog entry. But although I put the words together, she stamped them on the painting in silvery paint and it looks awesome. I am just so dang impressed.

Decorating for Christmas is one of my favorite things to do. One reason is because each item I take out of the box is a reminder of the birth of Christ and how His life has incredibly and undeniably affected mine. I am so grateful for this time of year and the chance we have to focus so much on Him and His life. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Paigie!! I was so happy when I scrolled down and saw my painting on your blog there was an audible intake of air! Thanks for including me and mine:)!

I also have to share that I showed Chris and then I scrolled up a bit to show him your nativity. Earlier today, actually, Henry was taking each piece down and handing it to Chris. When they got to the shepherd, Chris noted (note having heard the discussions at Thanksgiving) that "this looks like a rabbit!" Well when he saw yours, he said - "Oh, she put faces on hers...now the shepherd doesn't look so much like a rabbit!" I thought you might appreciate that because of all your effort to disguise the rabbit by doing exactly that - sanding faces on.

One last note - how much of that verse from We Three Kings did you write? I only used the one sentence, but did you write words to the whole verse? Just checking, and also noting that you are quite talented in your own right.

LYL

Paige Moore said...

I did sand my rabbit shepherd to look more like a shepherd. I believe that mom, however, sanded her rabbit shepherd to look more like a rabbit.
And about the verses, I wrote both the 2nd and 3rd verse of the We Three Kings. The original goes through the three gifts that they brought and I didn't want to do that. So I wrote my own. If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself.

Britney said...

I had to look at your nativity again to see how the shepherd could look like a rabbit. I laughed out loud. Love your decorations and Erin's painting is so cool! Merry Christmas!
Britney

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a navitiry from Chile like the one posted on your site. I cannot read the artist's name inscribed on the bottom of each piece. Do you know anything about her (name, etc.) We bought ours on two different trips to Chile. I was just looking for information about the artist. If you have any information, could you please email me at jkp@chartertn.net Thanks, Kathie