Monday, March 23, 2009

RSV: Really Very Silly

So last week Miriam came down with a terrible cold. She was snotty and coughy and sneezy and just gunky. So of course Elijah got it too because Miriam is such a good sharer. Thursday and Friday nights they both just coughed away and it was kind of pathetic at our place. Saturday night Eli felt really hot so I checked and sure enough we had a temperature of 101.4. Wait... for kids this little, they care after it hits 100.4, right? So I called the doctor on call and she said to not worry but call the office Sunday morning and schedule an appointment (of course she said that... why do they even have doctors on call?). So Sunday I took Elijah in to the doctor's and sure enough, he has RSV. And they want to hospitalize him. At Primary Children's. And they want to take him there in an ambulance. They didn't want him to be off of the oxygen, see. So they strapped my little guy onto a stretcher and toted him off into the ambulance. I know that RSV is serious, but it's also pretty routine, so I was able to enjoy the whole thing without needing to worry. In fact, it was absolutely hilarious! This tiny bitty guy was strapped into his carseat and the carseat was strapped onto this huge stretcher and it took two big burley guys to get him into this huge ambulance just so he could have a little fan on his face. Okay, it was 100% oxygen coming out of the fan, but still it felt a little like overkill. I laughed the whole time. Inside at least. Outside I politely answered all of the questions and was the picture of a concerned mother. He was just so dang cute! I wish I had my camera, but at least I have a little one on the phone. My favorite shot is the one inside the ambulance where he's waving his little hand. It looks like "Hi mom! I'm in an ambulance! How cool is that!?" It was my first time in and ambulance and the whole time I felt like Tom Hanks in The Burbs when he crawls into the ambulance and says "I'm sick! Take me to the hospital!" Anyway, we made it to Primary Children's and he made it through to our little room and we've been there ever since. He's still on the oxygen and they come in and suction him out every few hours. It helps a lot and he breaths much better for the first few minutes afterwards until he builds it all up again. Because it's a virus they really don't have a medicine they can give him. It's just take care of the symptoms until it runs its course. Which could be two days and could be five. I stayed with him last night and now Brent is with him while I came home to put Miriam to bed and take a nap myself. So although I could elaborate on the story a bit more, I'm just going to go to bed.


3 comments:

susie said...

I hope that he is alright and recovers soon!

Unknown said...

I love that you kept such a cool, calm exterior through the whole thing. I tend to be over-dramatic, and wish I could take a deep breath and chill. I hope he's alright and over this soon! Such a cute little man! :)

Shauna said...

Oh, no!! I hope he gets better! At least you are taking things well. I also wanted to tell you that on Saturday Charlee came to me and said, with puppy dog eyes, "Charlee miss Miriam." We will have to get them together. See ya next week.