Saturday, July 4, 2009

It might not be worth it


Today for the Fourth, I kept trying to think of something we could do to celebrate, but every time I stepped outside it was too hot to think of packing two kids up and going to the park. So I took Miriam to Macey's to get some groceries and picked up a pizza on the way home. I declared that we were going to have a party at home instead of going to the park for the party. Miriam immediately ran into the front room and yelled "SURPRISE ELI!" Apparantly every party is a surprise party. She handed out pretend party hats, frosted everybody's pizza with pretend frosting, and threw pretend confetti into the air. No matter how many times we told her that it was America's birthday, she kept yelling SURPRISE and HAPPY BIRTHDAY at Elijah. Anyway, lately I have been trying to find ways to live more frugally and thriftily. After spending more money on Eli's food than on the other three of ours put together last week, I decided to try my hand at making my own baby food, being more independent in honor of Independence Day. Some of you, I'm sure, are aghast that I've ever bought store-bought baby food. Others are shaking their heads now thinking "OH PAIGE WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?!?" On our Macey's trip, I purchased some sweet potatoes, as well as some frozen veggies that were on sale. After everybody was in bed I got things boiling in the kitchen. The sweet potatoes were cake. I mixed them up just like normal, but added a bit more water. They were fast and easy and made quite a bit. The peas, carrots, and beans weren't quite so easy. After boiling them, I put them through the meat grinder twice and then used the hand mixer. They're still pretty chunky and I'm not sure if Eli will be able to eat them. Well, he's actually not that picky so he probably will. Still, I don't know if I didn't boil for long enough or if I should have blended... Anyway, I ended up with 24 little servings of veggies. Normally priced, this would have cost about $12. I saved $6, but I spent $6, along with an hour and a half or more of time that really is pretty precious. Verdict: I'll think about the sweet potatoes again, but the others weren't worth the time or effort. Now I know. And knowing is half the battle. HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYBODY!
Below: Miriam and Elijah at the surprise party. Thankfully, it was a lot more fun than it looks.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

If time were money... :)

I say Kudos to you for trying. And I also say you have such adorable kids! I loved listening to the laughter it was music to my ears!

Have a happy day!

Marika said...

I think that picture is adorable, Paige!