Friday, July 10, 2009

What more could I ask for?

I love being a mom. I adore my kids and I have so much fun with them. I also selfishly love being the one that they turn to when they're excited, hurt, happy or sad. I love being able to be with them all day every day because I get to see every little thing that they do and really know what's "normal," versus what's not and that they might not be up to par. And I love being the one that they cling to and want to be with. Tonight Brent and I went to the second round of Harvest Days Heartthrob, Midvale's form of the always-popular Idol singing competition, and we got a babysitter for the evening. To make a long story short, the babysitter called midway through the concert and said, over his screaming in the background, that she couldn't get Elijah to stop crying. I immediately came home to a sad little boy and a justifiably frazzled little babysitter. Thankfully Miriam had slept through the whole ordeal. Eli isn't hard to calm down usually, so I knew something was up. Even after doing everything for him, he was still tense and worried. I finally decided to just stay home rather than go finish out the concert and said "I think I'll just stay with him." As soon as those words were out of my mouth, the little guy took a big deep breath and his entire body completely relaxed. His binkie-sucking started to be more relaxed rather than panic-stricken. As the babysitter walked out the door (thankfully she just lives down the street and it was light enough for her to walk home), he smiled at me and his eyes started to roll. I almost cried. All he needed was his Mama, and I was the lucky one who got to be everything for him. I sat and rocked and sang to him until he was completely asleep, his binkie finally falling out of his mouth and his little hand finally growing limp after grabbing my finger the whole time. As I kissed his fuzzy little head for the hundredth time, I thought OH I JUST LOVE BEING A MAMA!

No comments: