Thursday, January 15, 2009

Held hostage


After a week of doing only two loads of necessary laundry, I woke up Monday ready to tackle all of the dirty clothes, towels, and other sundry dirty items in our home. I started with Miriam's, put the load in the washer, shut the door and poured some detergent into the drawer thing. Although unfinished and slightly frigid, the newly cleaned and organized basement is one of Miriam's favorite play areas, so we ended up by her little kitchen cooking all sorts of plastic delicacies. After a bit, I realized that I was hearing no washer noises. I checked to make sure I had started it, and the outprint box was flashing "F-22." I turned it off, went through the startup sequence again, and again "F-22." I decided to start from scratch and went to open the door hoping to reset the thing. The door was locked. And nothing I could do would open it. I unplugged the machine, I pushed restart, reset, I tried to start at the rinse cycle... nothing. I dug out the troubleshooting portion of the handbook. F-22 is a call-a-repairman code. Argh. So I called Sears where I hope we still have a warranty (we bought it in July) and felt like I was on hold for an exorbitant amount of time. So I went to the online repair scheduling schedule and the first time somebody could be here was Thursday. Okay, I thought, Miriam's favorite clothes and blankets might be locked in the washer, but she has others, this might be a good chance to see if any of her off-the-bench clothes should be moved up or gotten rid of... so I took it. Like I had another choice. I did gather up some things that I felt couldn't wait until Thursday and washed them at my friend Shauna's (thanks, Shauna). Then I set out to live life as normal until Thursday when, after the repairman came between 8 and 12, I planned to spend the day doing laundry. Yesterday, the day before washer-fixing-day, I was tidying up the office and picked up the printoff of the appointment. I glanced at it and was shocked to see that the appointment was for Thursday, January 22nd. Due to the lack of being able to capitalize numbers, I'll do it this way: the TWENTYSECOND! As in NEXT week! Not today, but NEXT WEEK! I was so sad! I can resolve most of my laundry woes by just giving in and doing some wash loads at the laundromat down the street. I have many happy memories of laundromat times in my college days, so although it would be a pain it wouldn't be that big of deal. Our dryer still works, so I'd only have to do the wash cycle and then come home. Not bad at all. But remember Miriam's clothes? Locked in the washer? Where I can't get to them? I'm just lucky that she hasn't asked for her soft blanket specifically this week. Or that I've not had an overwhelming desire to dress her in her/my favorite jeans or shirt or coat... I'll get through this, and trust me I know it's not a big deal but GOSH it's been a sliver in my side this week. You will notice in the picture that the F-22 code is thankfully no longer flashing. Now there's just the bright red light on "DOOR LOCKED" that seems to mock me every time I venture down to look at it. Even though it's been since Monday, it seems like a fresh wound because I had planned on it being fixed today. Oh well. If anybody knows how to clear an F-22 error code on a Kenmore HE-2 washer, please let me know. An entire load of Miriam's cutest clothing hostages and I would be ever so grateful!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Paigie!!! I am so sorry! At moments like these, there just frankly isn't a lot that can be said. I am so sorry. Isn't the Maytag man ALWAYS available - I think he has started fixing other things because he was getting so bored. Maybe he would fix a Kenmore??? Thursday will come:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, whadda story for the pro's of purchasing at Sears!! Perhaps you could submit it to the Sears website and get faster action on your repairs. After all, the sobstory of a little girl's blanket being held hostage for two weeks is kinda ridiculous. With your great writing skills, the Maytag company may use it for THEIR advertising also. Unbelievable! AND Unacceptable!! Poor Pitiful Paigee.

Anonymous said...

Paige,
How frustrating!
I was looking around online at your problem washer code. I don't have much to do until my wife gets home with groceries anyway. I do have to tend to the needs of a sick child :(. Anyway, I found a few things and the following site seems to be accurate enough. But this information doesn't solve anything in and of itself. At this website: http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/answers/Answers.action#l4q120047, you may learn more about the problem. It says: "The F22 error code indicates a door lock error. It is likely that the door lock mechanism will need to be replaced to fix this problem". It also gives an explanation on how to fix.....after you buy a part. Not cool.
Sorry. Best wishes with getting it repaired in a timely manner.

Shauna said...

You are very welcome!!! If you need to do any laundry you are more than welcome to use ours again!!

Paige Moore said...

Isaac! I was so excited to try the self-fix! But after I read the solved problem and went down to inspect it again, it was clear that in order to change the lock system, the door has to be OPEN in the first place! If the door was open, it wouldn't be locked! Some paradox that is. I'm sure there's some great truth hidden beneath it all, but either way I hope whichever daughter is sick gets feeling better soon. Thanks for thinking of me!