Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week in review

Here are three moments from this week that didn't get their own blog post, but I love the memories, so they are going to be here, in a "Week in Review" post. When you have a week where I, the blogger, am fixated on the croup and a broken-then-fixed washer, some things just get missed.

First, Wednesday, January 20th was Inauguration Day. Although I did not vote for him, I think that President Obama will be an excellent leader and hopefully will be able to accomplish many of the things he wants to. I am excited to see where the next four years will go for this country. Miriam has been able to identify President Obama by a verbal question. I'll ask, "Who is the next president?" and she'll say "OH-BAMA!" Although we'd talked about it, I didn't know that she could also identify him by picture. But as we were watching the Inauguration, I asked, "Who is that?" She looked at the television and said "OH-BAMA!" I was proud! She sat on my lap and watched as much of the speech as you would expect a two-year-old, albeit one who can identify the newly sworn in President of the United States, to focus on. Then she was off. But I loved the attention she gave it, seeming to know that it was an important moment.

Secondly, Brent's birthday was Wednesday the 21st! Happy Birthday Brent! Miriam had a great time helping to make the cake, and talked about it being dad's birthday all day long. She chose the number, color, and placement of the candles, but was a little overwhelmed when we lit them, as you can see. I guess it's a good thing that open flame bothers her. Anyway, we had a fabulous day, and I think Brent did too. It is really good timing to have Brent's birthday just 10 days before Miriam's, because now she completely knows what a birthday is. She's already talking about how daddy had a brown cake, but she wants a pink one. We'll get it for her!

The third noteworthy-but-not-yet-noted event happened yesterday. Miriam found her babydoll stroller and was dead set on taking her babydoll for a walk. So we bundled up and headed out. She headed straight for the middle of the road, and I guided her back to the sidewalk, pointing her in another direction. She walked her stroller that way until there was a break in the foliage, where she again headed out to the middle of the road. We asked if she wanted to cross the street and she gave a resounding YES! Unbeknownst to me, she was making a beeline for her favorite winter-walk destination, the amazingly decorated-for-Christmas yard across the street that still has a few Santas up. She walked her little stroller there, then stopped and pointed all the Santas and snowmen out to her babydoll. When she was done, she went back to the place to cross, waited for us (thank goodness), and went back home. It was so dang tender I couldn't stand it! This picture is when she's heading back home after showing the baby all of her favorite winter things.

Hope you all had a great week and here's hoping for another!

No comments: