Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Great Potato


I have been thinking for quite a while about starting a blog. Funny... when I logged on to do it this morning, I see I already made a post back in September. See, I wasn't lying. I really have been thinking about it for a long time. But yesterday I read something that made me decide to buckle down and do it. No, it wasn't anything brilliant or wonderful that Miriam did (although she does do brilliant and wonderful things on a daily basis). It was an article that Brent pointed out to me in the Economist called "The Potato: Spud we like: In praise of the humble but world-changing tuber." Oh be still my beating Idahoan heart! It turns out that the United Nations has declared 2008 to be the Year of the Potato. Yes, my friends, you read that correctly. WE ARE LIVING THE YEAR OF THE POTATO! Could anything be more exciting? Besides being delicious and able to prepare in myriads of satisfying meals, it turns out that the potato has played a major role in economic development across the globe. In fact, it has even been said "that the potato is the equal of iron for its historically revolutionary role.” So be you Idahoan or not, share a moment of silence and wipe a tear as we celebrate the official Year of the Potato.

No comments: